The Punjabi chole or Chana masala is one of the most popular recipes from north India. This is a curry-style gravy vegetable prepared with fresh onion, tomato and other Indian spices to make it a yummy dish for lunch or dinner. This is the easiest and quickest healthy recipe powered with fiber and proteins.
10 hrs 40 min
Best time to make
Lunch / Dinner
Dried Chole / Kabuli Chana / White chickpeas
Onion ( finely chopped )
Tomato ( Finely chopped )
Ginger garlic paste (2-3 garlic and ½ inch of ginger pc)
Curry Leaves ( Chopped )
7 -8 Leaves
Red Chili powder
Oil / Ghee
Chole Masala/ Garam Masala/ Sabji Masala
Coriander leaves ( Finely Chopped )
As per taste
for Soaking and Cooking Chickpeas
1. Rinse the Chickpeas in normal water 2-3 times and soak them overnight for up to 8-9 hrs. Add enough water for soaking so that they turn big in size.
2. Remove the soaked chickpeas from the bowl and put them into a pressure cooker with a sufficient amount of water in it for cooking.
3. Cook Chickpeas in a pressure cooker for 3-4 vessels. Chickpeas should be sufficiently cooked in the pressure cooker so that it becomes very soft and easy to eat.
4. Once the pressure cooker cools down, Take big size pan or Kadai and heat the oil/ghee in it.
5. Add cumin seeds, Mustard seeds and curry leaves to it and sauté them well.
6. Now add chopped ginger-garlic paste and green chilies and sauté the mixture well for 2-3 mins.